Monday, December 2

Tonkotsu, London

Ramen has been on my to-do list for a while - Bone Daddies and Tonkotsu, I'm not fussy - so when my sister and I had a date night a few weeks ago and she suggested ramen I jumped on it!

I've never had ramen and didn't know what to expect. I assumed it would be some kind of soup broth, which in essence it was, however it was so much better than what I was expecting.

We went to Tonkotsu - purely because we found it first. Yes, yes I am fabulous at directions. Even with Google Maps.

As always, to try a bit of everything, we ordered two we fancied and swapped half way through.

First the Tonkotsu. A sea-salt based pork stock with home-made noodles, pork belly, half a boiled egg, menma, bean sprouts and spring onions.



WOW it was porky with a thich, rich and delicious broth. This was not light at all, I would have found it tough to finish a whole one on my own. But incredible flavours nonetheless and something so interesting to taste. The noodles are something special too. Really light and tender, they soak up the flavour of the broth and it was just a joy to eat. This was serious, hearty, comfort food.

Then the Soho Ramen. A salt-based pork and chicken stock with those gorgeous noodles, topped with smoked haddock, pak choi, half an egg, menma and spring onion.



The broth here is much lighter, making for a lighter meal. A lovely smoked, salty taste encompassed this dish. I loved the freshness and again it was packed with flavour. I'm shocked at just how much flavour is in ramen. A very pleasant surprise.

Now to try Bone Daddies and compare….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...