Tuesday, May 21

Pig and Pastry, York

I AM STRESSED. Less than 2 weeks of my undergraduate degree to go and and I have about a million things to do before I finish. I have started to "stress shop", which is a phenomenon that has never happened to me before. Sure, I always shop but this is getting dangerous. It makes me feel better, more calm and relaxed, but my bank balance is hating me. I don't think I've ever been this broke in my life, but as that age old proverb says new clothes are good for the soul.

And obviously instead of working right now I decided to write a blog post. Priorities in the right place.

Anyway, I feel like I haven't left my room in about a month, but today I came out of my cave because a friend came to visit!! Nothing like friends and cake to make you feel better.

I can try to say that what I had in the Pig and Pastry was brunch, but I would just be kidding myself, for really it was my second breakfast of the day. I'm not ashamed. I can't get enough of breakfast.

Super cute, this is an undiscovered locals joint on Bishopsthorpe Road that is not overrun with students and tourists. I have discovered it and neglect to tell people about it because I love it too much. DON'T GO. It's already busy enough!



The staff are all welcoming and friendly and clearly love to work there with their cute Cath Kidston aprons. Probably because they get to eat the most amazing cake and food for free!! There is a man that works there that has the most incredible moustache. Go just to see this feat of nature itself. A proper gelled swirly one. 
No wait! I'm supposed to be deterring you! He's actually really scary.



Guy with amazing moustache outside!
Old school treats

The coffee is smooth and flavoursome, just lovely. But the real star here is the food. For just £6 (compared to about £12 in London, this is why I love the North) I ordered this incredible eggs royale.



Why yes, yes that is TWO perfectly cooked poached eggs on muffins you see before you.
How do I know they were perfectly cooked?





Nuff said.

J ordered Eggs Benedict, which was made with Yorkshire ham!! Always up for local produce, those Northerners. Another reason I love it there.


And this one was only £5.50. Ohmygod it was good.

Then it was time for cake. All this food may have been amazing but I'm not leaving my room for anything less than a slice of cake. All breads and cakes are homemade and I expect nothing less. Only problem is, once they're gone, they're gone!

What to choose what to choose.....


JUST GUESS WHICH WAS MINE.

Yeah, chocolate cake. No brainer, it was moist and delicious. But the cinnamon swirl was divine and the most gorgeous colour too. And look at that plate! I do appreciate nice cutlery...

I really regret not taking a slice of the caramel shortcake home though. I did try to get a piece to go, but a couple before me got the last one. Next time, hopefully.

So as you can see, really not that impressed with the Pig and Pastry and no one should go here. Ever. No point in even thinking about it.

But all in all, a wonderful catchup with a friend from home who I will be seeing lots more of over Summer in London. We were talking about going to this pop-up cinema, looks amazing for a summer evening:


But for now, I shall leave you with this:


Yes, I associate myself with this person. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...