Wednesday, February 12

Corner Room

In a not-often-visited corner of London (Bethnal Green), on a rather non-descript road, sits the Town Hall Hotel. Step inside and art deco interiors and classic 1930s furniture await to transport you back in time.

Something I'm pleased to say is no longer a rareity in London, but still not easy nonetheless, this hotel holds not one but two excellent restaurants, both run by the same chef, Nuno Mendes. One is Viajante, a Michelin starred restaurant, and the other is Corner Room. With a Mediterranean influence, Corner Room has all the benefits of Michelin starred quality food that Mendes produces at Viajante, at a much lower price tag, creating dishes I didn't know whether I wanted to eat as they were absolutely stunning.

east london

Corner Room exudes a relaxed charm. Simple yet stylish decor, consisting of modest wooden tables and chairs crowned by and iron staircase at one end and a wall of lights at the other and that classic East London cool.

We couldn't resist the Iberico ham to begin, and I'm glad we didn't. Excellent quality and thick cut, accompanied by delicious sourdough, for £15 they didn't scrimp on portions. 


restaurants in london

I won't say much from here. I think you can tell by the way it all looks that it was all absolutely incredible. It was truly some of the prettiest food I have ever eaten. An absolute revelation to see dishes presented in such an artistic way. Nuno Mendes' food truly is art.

To start, cured beef, baby artichokes and black cabbage


restaurants in london

One I didn't know whether to hang on my wall….calf's tongue, wild leek and liquorice.

I would say with this dish, unfortunately for me the liquorice didn't really come through, but delicious nonetheless.


cool restaurants in london


My favourite. Rump of lamb, peppered green lentils. Just beautiful. In looks and taste.


corner room

Iberico pork, barley, pear and onion. Again, beautiful.


bethnal green

And to finish, frozen panna cotta with apple and chestnut.


town hall hotel london

Gorgeous, creative, interesting and exciting food. 

All washed down with the best named wine ever.


places to eat in london

Pim Pam Poom!!

Unfortunately Nuno Mendes is to leave Viajante and Corner Room at the end of February. He is to  become executive chef at the restaurant of new Marylebone hotel, Chiltern Firehouse. So this may be the first and only time I get to experience such wonderful, incredibly beautiful food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...