Sunday, May 19

Il Paradiso del Cibo: The Best Italian in York!

One of the best things about York is that it is full of good independent restaurants and cafes. There is a little street called Walmgate, where this Italian is also located, that has about 7 other restaurants along it that I would also regularly eat in. Although York is very popular with tourists, the prices have stayed fairly low (damn cheap in comparison to London) which is great for us students as we can afford to support these local businesses.

My absolute favourite Italian in York is this very shabby chic-looking little restaurant. They have spruced it up a little recently by painting, adding a permanent sign at the front replacing the temporary plastic thing they had since it had opened about 10 years ago and adding plants. Honestly, if I had not been recommended it I would never have set foot inside, it looked awful! Though it is true, never judge a book by its cover.



Inside, however, little has changed with the tired linoleum flooring and rickety tables and chairs, but this just adds to the overall charm of the place. Besides it's all about the food anyway. A TV inside is constantly on an Italian channel, usually showing football. I love that the people who run the restaurant are so proud to be Italian.



The bar area....

Birthday Girl!!
The most expensive dish on the menu is a special at something like £14. They do an amazing deal between certain times that we all flock there for: a pizza/pasta and a glass of wine for £6.95. Their food is not expensive anyway, a pizza is roughly £7.

Usually I'm more of a pasta girl (their pasta specials are delicious with options like lobster and scallops in a saffron sauce) but this time I chose this bad boy:

Prawn and asparagus pizza.
All pizzas are presented on wooden boards, which is a great touch. I do like a wooden board. Wasn't too keen on the presentation of this one, but I don't really care because it tasted fantastic. Classic, thin pizzas with crispy crusts and smothered in mozzarella. My absolute favourite.

The other ladies all chose the same, the Cortadina, with peppers, aubergine and courgettes:



Delicious.

I have been to this restaurant so many times and never have I ordered their homemade tiramisu. Usually I am too full by the time dessert comes around. On this occasion, however, I was going to eat that damn tiramisu whether I wanted to or not. I just knew that this being an authentic Italian restaurant, their tiramisu was going to be amazing.

Luckily I really really really wanted to.

And just look at it:



One of the best tiramisu's of my life: It was creamy but still had flavour, which many lack, was moist and rich and ooooh so good.

I was the only one who ordered a dessert and yeah I felt like a greedy cow but I was in heaven. I needed to remember this moment:


If you happen to find yourself in York, get down here immediately! But book. Unfortunately word has spread amongst the locals and not-so-locals that this place is fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...