Tuesday, May 7

Met Gala 2013 Roundup: The Hits and The Misses

The Met Gala is up there with the Oscars and Cannes for fashion expectation and excitement. Whereas the other events are all about elegance and glamour, the Met Gala is an excuse to go daring, bold and to bring the drama by wearing styles and makeup that would never normally be seen on the red carpet. 

Every year it is organised and hosted by Anna Wintour. It highlights the Metropolitan Museum of Art's spring exhibition in New York City and this year it was entitled "Punk: Chaos to Couture". This also serves as the theme of the evening. A little risky as some may go a little too costumey (cough MADONNA cough) but others may forego the theme altogether and just wear a pretty but boring dress, which quite a number did this year (Michelle Williams, Emily Blunt, Kylie Minougue....the list goes on). Punk is not for everyone. As I mentioned on twitter, I am surprised Vivienne Westwood didn't dress more people this year. She is after all the queen of punk. Perhaps she was just being picky; I heard she wasn't too happy with the curation in the museum.

In no particular order, here are the people that really stood out for me:

Beyonce.






Every year she brings it. I may not always like what she wears, but she definitely defines the theatrics that is the Met Gala. I wouldn't necessarily say I like what she wore, a Givenchy design, but my god did she sell it. With that pose and attitude she was the perfect mix of modern day edgy punk, with the croc-panelled bodice, grommet belt and thigh high boots and gloves, along with the glam of the opulent gold flame design. And that train! Just look at that train.

Anne Hathaway, in vintage Valentino, brought the sexy side to the punk theme. Her dress is definitely punk-glam with black and sheer beading and feathered cuffs. However the main talking point here is her hair. I LOVE her hair!! I have a feeling this is going to be a marmite look, but I am definitely on the love side. Maybe if she had left it flat I wouldn't have loved it so much as it is very similar to her skin tone, but in that amazing quiff it looks fab.




Blake Lively in Gucci Premiere. Forgetting the theme, this dress on it's own was my absolute favourite of the night. She is in full-on bomb shell mode. The earrings, the dress, it would have been perfect for Cannes or the Oscars. So I was at first a little flummoxed as to why she chose it for the Met Gala. She is a girly-girl, so was unlikely to go down the very punk route, but the more I think about about, the silver then matte black feathers are very punk and there is so much detail in that beautiful train, so I actually think this was a really great gown for the theme.




Rooney Mara in Givenchy. Co-host of the Met Gala this year along with Riccardo Tisci (creative director of Givenchy) this is another perfect modern punk look. Looking ethereal and heavenly in a gorgeous sculpted white dress, the punk accents came in the form of the lace, the daring plunge and the zip-accented front. The stark contrast of her famous slicked back black hair along with a dark lip also added to the punk-factor. It is an understated but stunning look - I would wear this dress in a heart beat. It doesn't have the in-your-face wow of Beyonce, but it is subtle and her presence in this dress is one that I still remember.




Sarah Jessica Parker - in Giles with a Phillip Treacy hat. The thing I most love about this is the head piece. Dress - not so much. But she brought the punk with that fake mohawk hat.



I also love this picture because it has Jennifer Lawrence in it, who was in the process of photo-bombing. (Although another one again, looking rather darling and not punk in this vintage Dior Couture).

In general, I'm not sure what any flower prints were doing at the Met Gala, that to me is definite N-O for the punk theme. See also: Kerry Washington (in Vera Wang) and Kim Kardashian (in Givenchy) - who by the way was wearing a sleeve-glove dress. I'm not sure how she was going to be peeing throughout the night. As a pregnant woman, isn't that a but risky?! But seriously, the woman is six months pregnant. Time to give up couture and wear something comfortable.



Cameron Diaz - she was my second favourite of the night sporting custom Stella McCartney. Her hair, minimal makeup and simple caped dress in the most brilliant blue colour including a spiked belt for added punk was the most perfect modern minimalist punk.



There were some great dresses last night but they unfortunately a lot didn't fit the theme for me, so they lost out. You cannot just do a punky hairdo or dark smokey eyes and expect that to fit the theme - see Jessica Alba (in Tory Burch), Emma Watson (in Prabal Gurung). 



And then there were those who went OTT with the theme, either with the clothes - Sienna Miller in Burberry (Cara Delevigne also in this pic, also in Burberry)



And then there were those who went OTT with the make up - Ginnifer Goodwin in Tory Burch.



I mean, there's being bold and daring and then there's looking plain stupid.

Those that were my personal best had updated the punk theme by putting a modern, glamorous and minimalist spin on it. I think the aim of the theme this year was to mix punk and glam. Not to bring back the old 80s punk, but to evolve from that era and bring it to the present day, which is really what fashion in general is all about. A tough ask I will admit, but that is the point of the Met Gala - go big or go home.

All pics credit to Tumblr. I hope I did nothing illegal here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...