Saturday, June 29

York Day 4: The Hairy Fig, Walmgate

The Hairy Fig are "purveyors of fine fodder" according to their sign on their store front in York, on Walmgate.




I would have to say that I agree with this. The Hairy Fig consists of a deli, selling from what I hear unbelievably good pies (and the Yorkshire folk know a good pie when they see one), a little shop selling artisan chocolates, vinegars and oils, hundreds of varieties of speciality loose leaf teas and coffees and other edible bits and bobs. A great place to find a gift or treat yourself. 



At the back of the shop is a tiny 10 seater cafe. As I'd been eating fairly lavishly over the past few days I wanted something lighter to start my day and knew the Hairy Fig was just the place as they mostly do salads and sandwiches with a couple of specials every day.






I love that this lady on a lunch date looks so happy here!
I had the figs, baked with homemade balsamic vinegars, (sold in the shop) honey and a dollop of marscapone. It was really lovely. So simple and so tasty. The sourness of the vinegars was off set by the honey and marscapone. 
I also ordered a pot of tea and I was allowed to choose from any of the speciality teas that they sold in their shop. I went for the most intriguing tea I could find: The Blue Lady. It consisted of grapefruit, mallow and marigold. It had a lovely fragrant flaovur, sharpened by the grapefruit. 




They really pay attention to detail here. The best thing is all the china and cutlery they use. All individual, all with character, all sourced from charity shops or donated to them. My tea set was adorable. The bowl my figs came in was decorated and even the spoon was not lost on me. Perhaps the most beautiful spoon I have ever seen!!


The don't offer a great deal of choice, but head here for some homely light bites or to sample their wide range of teas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...