Thursday, April 4

Honest Burgers

Apologies for no photos, but as you read on, you will see there was no point....

I trust burgeraddict to tell me what I should eat and what I should steer clear of in the now slightly saturated gourmet burger market. He said Honest Burgers were a sure 10/10, however I had heard rumblings, mainly from Cheesenbiscuits blog, that they were not all they were cracked up to be. But I thought I'll never know if I don't try myself and headed to Meard St, Soho.

First of all, Meard St is just opposite Burger & Lobster, so it took all strength I had to drag myself down the side alley to what was hopefully going to be a great burger, rather than getting a perfectly steamed lobster for £20.

Disclaimer: it was Easter Sunday when I visited so there was absolutely no queue to speak of outside. I know however that when there is a queue, instead of making you wait outside, they take your number and and call you when there is space.

So I ordered the Honest Burger, which was basically a bacon cheese burger. Honest burgers is their name, so honestly? It was so disappointing. The worst burger out of all the gourmet burgers that I have tried, I think GBK does a better burger. My burger was so dry. I know other places add mayo and ketchup, but that is for flavour, their patties to begin with are actually moist. There was not much flavour to speak of here, in the Ginger Pig 28-day-aged beef. The burger really tasted of nothing, I didn't get any smokiness from the bacon, any flavour of cheese and to top it all off, my bun was over toasted, which didn't make the dryness any better.

I have heard people rave and rave about Honest Burger fries. I was so excited to try their amazing rosemary salted fries. So I tried one, and another, and another....hold on, why could I not taste any rosemary salt? Have they cut back on the amount of salt they use on their fries? I had only a few mouth fulls where I could taste the salt and even then it was not a strong flavour.

In hindsight maybe I should have added ketchup and mayo to make it more moist, maybe then I would have enjoyed it more. But I still think a beef patty should be juicy. Talk to me, am I right?

Burgeraddict, for the first time you failed me! I left Honest Burgers feeling full yet unsatisfied. My second worst kind of feeling (after, of course, the tired and hungry combination).

Does anybody agree with me about Honest Burger? Or am I on my own here?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...