Thursday, April 4

Patty & Bun

I love a good burger. I loooove Meatliquor/mission/market burgers, I have been a fan since the Wagon days and I even visited Meateasy. Yep, I am a true Meatlover.


Meatliquor
A very bad picture from MeatEasy! Must have been 2010.

When deciding which burger joint to frequent one evening, we checked out burgeraddict's list of 10/10 burgers and settled for Patty&Bun.

Patty and Bun has your nowadays standard first come first serve policy. And we went at about 7.30pm, busiest time possible. Rookie mistake. Best time to get there, like all these places, is between 3-6pm or after 8.30. In the end we queued for about an hour.


patty and bun
From left: Lamb burger, Smokey Robinson, Ari Gold.


For something different (that's me, always having to try new things, which doesn't always work out) I ordered the "Lambshank Redemption" burger, which consisted of a lamb patty with coriander and chilli, braised red cabbage, feta and cumin aioli. It was so tasty, and something different from these kinds of burger joints. However I only had a tiny slice of feta in mine and I love feta cheese so would have loved some more. However it had the perfect texture, was nicely juicy and very satisfying.

Their standard cheese burger, the "Ari Gold" (Entourage reference) was incredible, I knew I should have stayed safe and picked that one! He was kind enough to let me try a bite of his so I know for a fact that it was great. It had the perfect amount of juiciness in the patty, was full of flavour and had the yummiest toasted brioche that held together nicely throughout.

He also had the "Smokey Robinson" (yeah, he was hungry) which included caramelised onions, bacon and smokey P&B mayo (that mayo I think is the secret to their success). It was honestly one of the best things I have ever tasted, and, yes I'm going to say it. BETTER THAN A MEATLIQUOR BURGER. 

*Shields from backlash*

I have to give a separate paragraph to the chips. Oh, the chips. Those delicious rosemary salted, potato skinned, crispy, crunchy, fluffy chips. You will not find better chips anywhere else, not even at Honest Burger (but more on that later).


patty and bun london
The burgers, before they were demolished, with those fries.
Also how cute are the burgers all wrapped up?!

Comparing the two, who I consider, leaders of the burger pack, Meatliquor and Patty & Bun, you can see their similarities: both do great, simple food, but very clearly you also see their differences. Meatliquor is also very much a great bar, with loud music and fantastic cocktails, so if you want more of a night out head to the former. Meatliquor also relies heavily on their range of interesting sides, which I will gladly admit are fantastic! However Patty&Bun lets the burger do all the talking and of their simple sides, their fries, with that incredibly addictive rosemary salt, blows Meatliquor's fries out of the water.

What I like about Patty and Bun is that it is very unassuming. It may occupy the no reservations policy, but this is not to cause a stir or to show how cool it is, like I feel Meatliquor does, but I genuinely believe they want to be as fair as possible as it has a pretty tiny seating area. The staff are so friendly who don't try hard to be cool and let the burgers speak for themselves, which is a pretty great strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...