Thursday, April 4

Washington DC, 2012


I thought I should go back and write down some of the places I visited before I started this blog, so I can recommend places and also so I can reminisce. This blog is as much for me as it is for you!!

Last year my best friend took a year out to work in Washington DC and I was lucky enough to be able to visit her around this time last year. I had the most amazing time, visiting famous places like the White House, the Lincoln Memorial and Capitol Hill to name but a few, but we also visited places I would never have known about had I not had a friend living there, places like Georgetown and Dupont Circle, which were like little storybook villages with giant American roads running through.



The Dupont fairytale....

I will always remember DC as the place where I had my first taste of a Five Guys Burger (great, but missing that special something that In N Out has).... 



Five Guys excitement!


The full feast!! Cajun fries yuummm...


The place where I strengthened my love of chocolate and peanut butter baked goods in super hipster coffee shops called things like Baked and Wired....

....and where I queued for an hour in 30 degree heat for some damn good cupcakes (trust me the queue was worth it) from a bakery that has it's own TV show.



The queue....

Georgetown Cupcakes
 TIP: If you're heading to Georgetown cupcakes get there EARLY!! The earlier the better. Also check their twitter feed, they do a secret special FREE cupcake of the day that they only announce via twitter!

Best places to visit: 
1. The Library of Congress, Thomas Jefferson Building.
One of the most breathtakingly beautiful places I have ever seen.




Topshop top and saddle bag, H&M jeans, Office deck shoes. Lipstick Shiiap by NARS.
On the steps outside.
 
Everything is so huge in DC....
2. Abraham Lincoln Memorial.
Speaks for itself. So inspiring and a true feat of architechture, with stunning views.



And again....ridiculously huge. They have so much space over there!!
Might be my favourite picture ever. Was a complete accident.


3. Visit the Capitol Building and the surrounding area Capitol Hill. It is full of cherry blossoms around this time of year so it is beautiful and Capitol Hill is very pretty and clearly rather pricey!!



Capitol Hill. Mulberry Bayswater bag, Topshop top, RayBan Classic Aviators, True Reiligion Jeans and my fave Kurt Geiger boots, which have now sadly died!
Lipstick Rebel by MAC.



On my last night there we treated ourselves to an incredible meal at the Blue Duck Tavern, part of the Hyatt Hotel. 





Lobster is my weakness, so as soon as I saw it on the menu as a starter I didn't look at anything else. Nisha had veal sweetbreads with duck, which was equally delicious.


Apologies for poor photos, those were still the bad Blackberry days.



The Lobster 

For mains I had scallops and samphire (I love sea food if you hadn't noticed) and I honestly can't remember what Nisha had I was too entranced by my delicious scallops. 


I wish I could remember the sauce, all I can tell you was that it was so moist and yummy!

Then came dessert, ooooh I remember dessert. Nisha had cherry and green tea sorbet which was incredible! They did not scrimp on dessert portions either as it came in a giant frozen bucket with a wooden spoon to scoop out the sorbet. 

I am a chocoholic so I naturally chose the chocolate fondant, which was perfect in every way: moist, gooey and rich, which came with brandy soaked (more precisely drowned) cherries which honestly made me a tad tipsy! 




JUST LOOK AT IT!! OOZING!!
I have a thing for a nice bathroom too, and the bathrooms at this place were fantastic. So naturally we decided to mess around a bit inside the posh bathrooms....


Topshop top, D&G cardigan, Michael Kors Watch, Lipstick in Lady Danger by MAC.

So if you're heading out to Washington DC, I would definitely recommend the Blue Duck Tavern. It is pricey though so save it for a special night. It definitely created some memories I will never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...